The Oscillator Devices Garbage Collector is a series of MIDI to expression converter and footswitch emulators. They can control up to four effects devices with expression pedal inputs or inputs for external foot switches (e.g. tap tempo) via MIDI. Garbage Collector’s can be synced to MIDI clock, allowing time-based effects to sync to either tap tempo (footswitch emulator) or LFO waveforms (MIDI to expression converter).
- MIDI to expression converter with up to four expression outputs
- Footswitch Emulators with two switches per TRS
- High voltage and AC switching (Only Garbage Collector 3)
- MIDI clock synchronous LFO waveforms for modulation of the MIDI to expression converter
- MIDI clock synchronous switching of the footswitch emulators
- Multicolored LEDs for status indication
- Presets and choice of start configuration
- Selectable MIDI channel
- Compatible with all MIDI 1.0 compliant controllers
- High-quality Neutrik and/or Amphenol sockets
- Developed and handcrafted by Oscillator Devices in Germany
Differences between the models
|Outputs||EXP||Switches||EXP Input||MIDI Thru||AC-Switching*||Dimensions**|
|Garbage Collector 3||2||2||4||No||Yes||Yes||71 x 54 x 28 mm|
|Garbage Collector Mini||1||1||2||No||No||No||54 x 41 x 24 mm|
|Garbage Collector EXP||4||4||0||Yes||Yes||N/A||119 x 94 x 34 mm|
*Refers to the capability to switch more than 5V and negative voltages up to +-60V
**Dimensions of the enclosure without sockets
Garbage Collector 3 and Garbage Collector Mini
The Garbage Collector 3 and Garbage Collector Mini both have 1/4″ stereo jack sockets, that work as MIDI to expression converter, as well as MIDI controlled footswitches. If the expression function is activated via MIDI command, the switch is automatically deactivated. If the switch is used, the expression function is automatically deactivated.
The switches of the Garbage Collector 3 can be isolated from GND and disconnected from the expression function. That way amplifiers or other external equipment can be switched without the risk of ground loops. With that the Garbage Collector 3 is also able to switch up to +-60V.
See some example connections below. Note, that TRS1 and TRS2 of the Garbage Collector 3 have the exact same capabilities.
The associated LEDs make the setup easy. With the switch function, the LEDs light up whenever the contact is closed. The green LED lights up whenever the tip is connected to the sleeve, the red LED lights up whenever the ring is connected to the sleeve. When using the expression function, the LED on the heel position lights up green, gets darker towards the middle position and begins to light up red when it comes to the toe position.
There are up to 16 presets. The current switch and/or expression state can be saved and called up with a single Program Change command later. For saving a preset, simply call the CC command for preset saving. The last command that was called for each TRS is then saved. You can even set your startup configuration with saving to the first preset.
There is a small hole in the back with a switch in it. It is used for setting the MIDI channel, as well as testing the outputs without a MIDI controller. If the switch is pressed shortly while the device is switched on, tip, ring and tip+ring are closed in sequence. If the switch is held, the expression function is activated and it is slowly moved from heel to toe and back again. For setting the MIDI channel hold the switch while powering up and press the switch according to the number of the MIDI channel you want. Hold again to save.
Garbage Collector EXP
The Garbage Collector EXP is an entirely different beast. It features four expression outputs that can be controlled by an expression pedal and by MIDI at the same time.
With the two footswitches you can cycle through the four expression outputs and choose which one is controlled by the expression pedal at the expression input. Or you can set up one of the 8 presets and control every possible combination of the expression outputs at the same time. You can even invert heel and toe position individually.
Of course the Garbage Collector EXP can be used as MIDI only device, without an expression pedal. Every expression output can be controlled individually by CC commands, or can be driven by the integrated LFO waveforms.
All three Garbage Collector’s have an internal, MIDI clock synchronous, LFO engine with three different waveforms to drive the MIDI to expression converter. Choose between sine wave, square wave or sawtooth in both directions. The speed of the waveforms depends on MIDI clock, with one pass being either whole, half, quarter, eighth, or sixteenth notes. The waveforms can be further altered in starting point, amplitude and position.
The MIDI sockets are assigned according to the official MIDI specification of MIDI TRS using MIDI TRS Type A, like pedals from Boss or Wampler. A 1/8″ (3.5 mm) stereo jack plug is used. The MIDI Thru socket is a low latency MIDI Thru with a latency of less than 1 ms.
- External tap tempo functions of delays, tremolos and other time based effetcs synced to MIDI clock (e.g. DOD Rubberneck, TC Flashback 2, Walrus Monument, Boss DD-8)
- Switching of overdrive pedals with more than one channel (e.g. JHS Morning Glory/SuperBolt etc., Bogner Ecstasy)
- Controlling of expression functions (e.g. Electro Harmonix Pitch Fork/Deluxe Big Muff, Wampler Terraform, KMA Cirrus/Chief Disrupter, OBNE Sunlight)
- LFO-Waveforms for filter pedals with expression input (e.g. Moog MF-101, EHX Blurst, Walrus Kangra)
- Switching of channel/reverb/tremolo of guitar amplifiers (please refer to the manual for AC or voltages over +5V)
- Expression pedal multiplexing (in combination with e.g. Morningstar MC6/MC8)
- Switching of special functions (e.g. Strymon FAV-Switch)
|Quick Reference||Garbage Collector 3.0.1 and Mini 1.0.0 (June 2023)||English|
|User Manual||Garbage Collector 3.0.1 and Mini 1.0.0 (June 2023)||English|
|User Manual||Garbage Collector EXP 1.0.0 (September 2023)||English|
|User manual||Garbage Collector 3 (November 2022)||English | German|
|User manual||Garbage Collector 2 (July 2022)||English | German|